Saturday, March 3, 2007
Why I wanted it ... and why I shouldn't have
o Why I wanted a Chapman Stick:
- It is sensual and expressive, and it responds beautifully to different styles of playing.
- It is "hands on", close to your body.
- It offers many ways to sculpture sounds: tapping, sliding, bending, plucking.
- It is equally useful for chords as well as melody or rhythm.
o Why I should have avoided the Chapman Stick:
- The "foreign" concept makes it hard to master. Be patient!
- Is it meant for guitarists? - No! - Is it workable for pianists? - No! The method of using playing techniquies borrowed from both the guitar as well as the piano makes it special and at the same time intuitive.
- The stick is a rare instrument and not much educational material are available. Thankfully the Emmett Chapman himself and different user groups have produced excellent study-books. Still you need to be prepared to experiment!